james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject [Proposal] Case insensitive user names
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:13:12 GMT
I thought someone had started looking at having case-insensitive user
names, so that, e.g. Charles@benett1.demon.co.uk and
charles@benett1.demon.co.uk get delivered to the same mailbox. Can
anyone remember if this is so?

Assuming it isn't....

I think we need to change:
org.apache.james.James.getUserInbox(String name) - so that it can be
case insensitive, e.g. use uppercase only keys in the hashmap
org.apache.james.James.addUser(String userName, String passwd) - to
check for conflicts.
org.apache.james.transport.RecipientIsLocal.matchRecipient(MailAddress
recipient)

We could do this by adding two switches, one in the James section and
one in the matcher section of the xml.
Obviously, it would be better to have only one element in the xml file
to change. I think that requires adding a method to
org.apache.mailet.MailetContext, e.g.

/**
 * Discover if the Mailet container is ignoring case for usernames.
 *
 * returns true if container handles user names (local part of email
address) on a case insensitive basis.
 */
boolean ignoreCase();

So: any objections to doing this?

Charles

PS I've gone for the propose first route, rather than just doing it,
because it changes the mailet api and someone out there may have a
better idea!