james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slowdown with large attachment
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:42:40 GMT
At 10:06  19/4/01 -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
>I know that this isn't the fault of JAMES code, but I thought someone on
>this list may have experienced/solved this issue.
>How does one speed up this awful performance?

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do ;( You could try rewriting
javax.mail but that is waaay tooo much work ;) In my own mailserver I never
even used it - just twiddled with the raw bits. Other issues include memory
usage.

If you have a look at other mail servers, most of them except qmail have
similar issues ... I once saw a machine take 7 hours to send a 12 MB
attachment through (MSes mail server).
Cheers,

Pete