james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manual steps in Avalon Framework. Was: Logging levels being ignored
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:37:27 GMT
At 02:59  21/4/01 -0700, Harmeet Bedi wrote:
>There are a few places in Avalon that require same name.
>For example to add a block one needs to enter interrelated informaion in
>- .xinfo file
>- Manifest.mf
>- server.xml for logging
>- assembly.xml.
>
>There seems to be some duplication and getting one or more of these wrong
>can eat up a lot of time. Would it make sense to have code generators
>automate some of these. One could specify information only once and have an
>Ant target or a tool generate the correct files.

Yep this is definetly a long term goal and the reason why we do a few
things. (Like have Service interface and put entries in manifest).

In the short term what does everyone think about relaxing the requirement
that blocks be indicated by manifest. This requirement was mainly added in
to ease management via GUI ... but we aren't quite there yet .... thoughts?

>I wrote a python script to read assembly.xml and generate the block
>dependent part of server.xml. Attaching it. Automating part of server.xml
>removed logging issues in James. Maybe this, or something better should be
>added to Avalon. I was thinking that having templates, data file and an Ant
>Target would make things nicer.
>In the meantime maybe a few python scripts could help. :-)

excellent. added in under tools/bin - thanks ;)
Cheers,

Pete