james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Multiple blocks and use of assembly.xml
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:42:19 GMT
My main concern is that the code in the main james tree (ie under src)
should always run.  I am all for improvements and new additions. But, if
they impact core functionality, until they work out-of-the-box, they
should be in the proposal dir.

In this case, I made a whole set of changes to package names which
didn't change the functionality of james. I then tried to execute james.
When I attempted an smtp connection it through a ContextException
because it didn't have a  HelloName. This was extremely annoying. The
latest patches from harmeet have fixed that.

However, now I have sent a mail to james for local delivery which is
sitting in the spool repository. There's nothing obvious in the logs to
explain why this isn't being handled. As this is the test for james I've
been using for months, this is irritating.

I want to be adding functionality to james not restoring stuff that
worked a month ago.

So, I guess my points are:
1) Any changes to the current source, under src dir, should be tested
thoroughly. Ie a mail server set up and have mails sent to and from it
using smtp and pop3.

2) Major changes which impact the core functionality of james (which I
suggest should be the stable code: Ie smtp & pop3 with file based users
and message storage.) should - as well as being discussed (which we did)
- be placed in the proposal dir until they work properly.

3) Code that doesn't affect the core can go straight into the main tree.
At the moment, I suggest, that includes the imap & nntp servers, ldap
user storage and RDBMS user and mail storage.

By the way, I think this is just re-phrasing the jakarta guidelines -
see http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

Thoughts?

Charles