james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bob Johnson" <bob.john...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject Slowdown with large attachment
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:06:27 GMT
MimeBodyPart.getContent() VERY SLOW at returning 4MB plain text attachment

Has anyone else noticed it taking 4-5 minutes for getContent() to return a
4MB attachment (from a bodyPart). Everything is local, so there's no slow
network connection involved. The delay goes up exponentially as the
attachment size increases! Since I'm starting from an existing MimeMessage,
the DataContentHandler for the attachment is already set to
com.sun.mail.handlers.text_plain (which seems to plow through the
StreamBuffer in 1K chunks, possibly recopying earlier bytes over & over).

I know that this isn't the fault of JAMES code, but I thought someone on
this list may have experienced/solved this issue.
How does one speed up this awful performance?

Thanks in advance.