james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Town replacement
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 14:05:16 GMT
At 02:31  8/5/01 +0100, Charles Benett wrote:
>3) Avalon (jakarta)
>   Pros: provides pooled connections,

J2EE style - easy to pester main developer ;)

>   Cons: don't know much about this, possibly limited community at
>present (Avalon & cocoon)

Doesn't do any management or cross vendor SQL mapping. Which means the SQL
has to be read in from config files (ewwwww).

>4) Turbine (jakarta)
>   Pros: provides pooled connections, Peer object (OR mapping)

I haven't looked at it in a while but it used to be (and probably still is)
the best DB pooling around. Cross-DB, well tested and it also has OR-style
mapper ala torque.

>   Cons: don't know a lot about this, either!

It was also fairly tightly integrated into turbine. Not sure if this has
changed or not. Extracting it could be a pain but may be a useful excercise
for commons ;)

Cheers,

Pete