james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: SMTP-newbie question
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 10:39:01 GMT

>3. If it's the common scenario, what are others used and what are pros and
>cons of each?

>No idea - I always set it up to forward based on IP address. However this
>of course won't work if you connect from multiple ISPs or networks around
>the world - so not sure ;)

As someone who connects to about three different pairs (pop3 & SMTP) of mailservers from
all sorts of other peoples networks I can say that the priciple is to send mail to the local
smtp server, which will authenticate you based on IP address.

This does mean I have to change my smtp server name at each location (or have loads of "accounts"
set up for sending with)

using pop3 based authentication is the accepted hack for allowing non IP based authentication.

I don't think its a great solution, it places an unnecessary link between pop & smtp service
and generates spurious connections to your pop service.

on the other hand a shed full of common mail clients support it.

I don't know whether its behaviour is covered by an rfc, but someone on this list will :)

d.