james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Remote delivery updates
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:15:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Doucette" <david@citilink.com>

> From david@citilink.com
> As an aside, is there a document that describes (or could someone
> describe it in a paragraph) the retry logic James uses?  Also, does
> James restart where it left off if a bunch of email is being processed,
> the program is killed, and then the program is restarted?

No docs to speak of.  As it tries messages, if it fails it puts it back in
the queue, incrementing a counter and recording the next time it should
attempt (based on the conf file).  So if the server is restarted, it will
remember where it was.

> How about instead of hard coding what the RemoteDelivery mailet does for
> errors and bounces, create another stage in the pipe that handles these
> cases with matchers and mailets?  That way people can make it do just
about
> anything.
>
> From my experiences, flexibility in handling errors and bounces is
> almost as important as delivery of email!

I agree.  I was thinking of declaring a special processor name that would
handle failed delivery.  As a default it would call NotifySender, but others
could change this if they wanted.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/