james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Doucette <da...@citilink.com>
Subject Re: Remote delivery updates
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:44:16 GMT
>From david@citilink.com
From: David Doucette <david@citilink.com>

I'm very new to James, so forgive me if anything I say on this subject
just doesn't make sense. :)

> Let me know what you think of this idea...
>
> In 1.2rc1, the RemoteDelivery mailet is pretty basic.  It does a good job
> delivering (and retrying) messages, but doesn't give very good error
> messages (for bounces mainly).  I wanted to improve this, and perhaps make
> the remote delivery slightly more configurable (I've regularly heard people
> ask to have everything delivered to a single server)
The more configurable, the better!

As an aside, is there a document that describes (or could someone
describe it in a paragraph) the retry logic James uses?  Also, does
James restart where it left off if a bunch of email is being processed,
the program is killed, and then the program is restarted?

> The other major feature my clients have asked is to detect when a mail
> message bounced.  Often the FROM and TO are both end-users (not a system
> account), and we don't necessarily want to notify an end-user that the
> delivery failed... we want to catch this in the server and do something.
>
> Has anybody worked on this code?  Any other suggestions as long as I'm going
> in?
How about instead of hard coding what the RemoteDelivery mailet does for
errors and bounces, create another stage in the pipe that handles these
cases with matchers and mailets?  That way people can make it do just about
anything.

>From my experiences, flexibility in handling errors and bounces is
almost as important as delivery of email!

David