james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Doucette <da...@citilink.com>
Subject Re: Remote delivery updates
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:32:23 GMT
From: David Doucette <david@citilink.com>

> > From david@citilink.com
> > As an aside, is there a document that describes (or could someone
> > describe it in a paragraph) the retry logic James uses?  Also, does
> > James restart where it left off if a bunch of email is being processed,
> > the program is killed, and then the program is restarted?
>
> No docs to speak of.  As it tries messages, if it fails it puts it back in
> the queue, incrementing a counter and recording the next time it should
> attempt (based on the conf file).  So if the server is restarted, it will
> remember where it was.
So the queue exists in memory and on disk?

> > How about instead of hard coding what the RemoteDelivery mailet does for
> > errors and bounces, create another stage in the pipe that handles these
> > cases with matchers and mailets?  That way people can make it do just
> about
> > anything.
> >
> > From my experiences, flexibility in handling errors and bounces is
> > almost as important as delivery of email!
>
> I agree.  I was thinking of declaring a special processor name that would
> handle failed delivery.  As a default it would call NotifySender, but others
> could change this if they wanted.
Very cool.  As I think more about this, maybe it should be even more
general purpose -- not only handling failure, but also success (or a
separate one for each case).  This way actions can be taken as the result
of a successful delivery, not just as the result of a failed delivery.
Again, I'm new to James, so maybe there is already some sort of
mechanism to cause an action to happen upon success?

David