james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: Portability vs. db specific connections
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:59:28 GMT
Harmeet wrote:

> I thought at some point there was an idea to use OR Mapping technology from
> Turbine/Peers or some other OR tool. My impression was that investigation
> and using such a tool would help manage issues like db protability.

Using Peers could still be done as an alternative to straight JDBC.
I had a go at doing that but ran into Turbine related issues. Probably
solvable by a turbine expert.

While Peers and Torque have strengths (eg the sql create statements and
the OR objects are database specific creations from common xml
definitions), I'm not sure that James needs enough of their complexity
to justify it.
Charles