james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Upgrade problems and requested Features
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:44:53 GMT
"Stanley,Michael P." wrote:

> I just undergone an upgrade from James 1.2.1 to the latest CVS head
> checkout.

Ace!

>  This is a lot more painful than it should be because of (what
> seems to be) missing Administrative features.

Ah!

> I should be able to migrate userlists from one James server to another
> (I don't think I can)
> I should be able to migreate memberlists from one James server to
> another (This is pretty much the same problem.  I can't move users
> repositories)

Current James has several user features not in last release (hashed
passwords, forwarding, alises).

It should be possible and fairly easy to write a conversion tool,
though. Contributions welcome!

> James should have Sigup and shutdown routines

Agreed. This should be at Phoenix level. Off hand I can't remember what
the state of play is.

> Other than that everything is cool but these are serious features.  In a
> production enviornment they are neccessary.  If they can already be done
> please tell me how (and maybe add some documentation :-)  It isn't
> really a problem right now because I have small userlist and small
> listserv's but think if I had 400+ users.  Also the only way I think you
> can shutdown the servers is killall java which isn't appropriate for
> large systems.

I disagree.
What you say is true for minor releases,e.g. 1.2.1 to 1.*
But I don;t think its true for either:
a) CVS or nightly releases - which are in development, or
b) Major release, e.g. 1.2.1 to 2.*, where backwards compatability might
be broken - but should be detailed in release notes.

Charles