james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Crossan <st...@runtime-collective.com>
Subject Re: AW: Portability vs. db specific connections
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:25:22 GMT

> Harmeet wrote:
> >
> > I thought at some point there was an idea to use OR Mapping technology from
> > Turbine/Peers or some other OR tool. My impression was that investigation
> > and using such a tool would help manage issues like db protability.
>
> Using Peers could still be done as an alternative to straight JDBC.
> I had a go at doing that but ran into Turbine related issues. Probably
> solvable by a turbine expert.
>
> While Peers and Torque have strengths (eg the sql create statements and
> the OR objects are database specific creations from common xml
> definitions), I'm not sure that James needs enough of their complexity
> to justify it.
> Charles

Where it would be cool to have something like Peers behind James is in
using James as a mail interface to a database application. For example, we
use the intranet module from the ACS (www.arsdigita.com) extensively here
for tracking projects & co-ordinating disparate workers. I've rigged up
some mailets that, for example, allow you to log your hours, bugs,
correspondence, new versions of design documents etc. etc. via mail. This
whole area of mail interfaces to web applications is really powerful I
think and mailets give a great framework for it. So far I've rigged this
stuff up with straight JDBC but it would be great to have a better
abstraction. Do you have any info about what problems you ran into?

cheers

Steve