james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "M.P. Willems" <m.p.will...@chello.nl>
Subject Re: Input for JDB Mail Repository
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:01:20 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Benett" <charles@benett1.demon.co.uk>
To: "James Dev" <james-dev@jakarta.apache.org>; "Jakarta-James User"
<james-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 1:15 PM
Subject: Input for JDB Mail Repository

> In cvs proposal dir is Serge's JDBCMailRepository and
> JDBCSpoolRepository.
> Serge uses Mssql server with Inet Sprinta (I think) and I have got it
> going with MySQL and the mm driver.
> This is intended to replace the town db classses in James 1.2.1
>
> At the moment, they new classes need to be re-compiled for different
> drivers and dbs.
> I want to tidy up the config and move them into the main tree.
> So I am looking for input from developers/ users.
>
> 1) At the moment the JDBCMailRepository (like the town repository) puts
> all messages in one db table.
> a) Would it be useful to allows different tables, e.g. one for spam
> another for errors etc.?
> b) If one had multiple tables, how likely is it that one would have them
> in different dbs or on different machines?
> c) If one had multiple tables, would we still want all POP3 inboxes to
> be in one table or would per-user tables make sense?
>
> Any other suggestions re storing mail in a db would be welcome.

Other suggestion:
Maybe there is a argument for changing the message table structure, the
records in the table "message" will be allowed to become bulky as a result
of the defenition of the attribute "message body" , thus affecting
performance and scalabillity.
Maybe it's usefull to give some thoughts on putting those message body's
into a seperate table , in order to improve performance, operational
maintanance and if desirable allowing the assignment of storage area's to
the table's.