james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>
Subject Re: JDBC repository done, and bug found
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 00:26:11 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> The JDBC repository is pretty much done... should be substantially faster
> and more scalable than the Town version.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
God bless us.

>However, I don't know how we want
> to configure it, so the code is hardcoded to my database driver, server,
> etc...  Once we decide what's the best way to do this, I'll add that in (an
> easy change).

I think, any way will do; the most important thing is the performance.

> Also, I found out why the James 1.2rc1 was sending a copy of each message
> per spoolmanager thread... part of the TownSpoolRepository had a bug where
> it wasn't locking the messages (depending on how it was asking for a
> message), so this allowed all 5 threads to each process the same message.

Wow, what a surprise. (How come, that kind of bug lives happily in an
Apache project.)

> For future releases, I think it would be good to have a "Known Bugs" page on
> the website... there have been a few problems (can't login as root, can't
> handle mail from <> notices in SMTP, etc...) that pop-up periodically on the
> listserv, and just putting them somewhere visible might be nice.  Often
> these bugs aren't simple fixes that a patched release could address, so at
> least publicly recording them would help.

This would be great.

> Anyway, once we decide the best way to do configuration for the JDBC
> repository, it'll be easier for people to start testing the JDBC repository.

I think, if the Readme is clear enough, then let people get it from the
CVS.

> Note that I didn't change the table structure at all from the 1.2rc1
> release.

This is really great.

Oki