james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Dale Applegate" <dappl...@appliedtheory.com>
Subject Re: Input for JDB Mail Repository
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:30:04 GMT

Sorry to go off thread here, but I just wanted to advertise that this is
how we have implemented  James in our shop (sort of). In fact, the ability
of James to integrate tightly (and easily) with our web application
database is the reason we chose it. Ours' works differently, however.
Currently our web app sends out external email SMTP but James parses and
stores all incoming messages into a database tables that are directly read
(sorted, displayed) by the web application.  I didn't think about sending
messages via database dump, maybe I'll give that a shot. any advice?

>One of my overiding aims is to see James feeding into, and reading from, a
db which can also be >accessed by applications (servlets probably, but not
necessarily) which would probably be accessing >a common db from a cluster
of app/web servers.

>I would like to see webapps given mail access by dumping messages into the
repository, then have >James deal with transporting them in any way it sees
fit. Much like pipeing messages to sendmail.

>Likewise I'd like to see, for instance, other applications have the
ability to search and retireve >messages from the db based on message
content. I'm using webmail to write this message, I currently >have 96
messages in my mailbox, how nice to be able filter/search and sort them
on-line like I do >when I'm using outlook. If the message body is not in
the db this wouldn't be as trivial a task as >generating SQL.