james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <li...@bigdaz.com>
Subject Re: DB code committed
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:40:01 GMT
Hi,

Regarding using Avalon for handling db connections:

I was looking at this stuff last weekend, although I didn't get too far. My
understanding of the nitty-gritty of Avalon is a bit limited, so forgive me
if I'm off track.

I reckon using Avalon to manage Database connections would make sense, to get
the built in pooling features if nothing else. My understanding is that we
could use Excalibur JdbcDataSource for our connection management, but it
seems that this would currently require configuring a datasource at each
point where one is required (ie on a "per-repository" basis - User, Spool,
Inbox, etc), even if they all use the same db. This could get pretty arduous,
especially since we call every mailing list a separate "repository".

Possibly better would be to use the Cornerstone DataSourceSelector block to
load JdbcDataSource components, so that all datasources could be configured
in a single config section, and referred to by name elsewhere in the config
file. Different Mail Repositories (spool, inbox, error, spam) could use the
same or different datasource, and be configured to use the same table with an
index column (as is currently), or separate tables.

This is the theory, now to the implementation. I've tried both of these
approaches for the JdbcUsersRepository but ran into problems. I haven't spent
a great deal of time tracking them down, but if anyone has any advice I'd
appreciate it.

My main problem is that whenever I fiddle with the James config file (eg try
to set a DataSourceSelector block) I get this (unhelpful) exception message
on Phoenix startup:

Phoenix 3.1a1-dev

There was an uncaught exception:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        <<no stack trace available>>

The final log file entry is:
Tue Jul 31 22:23:22 EST 2001 [INFO   ] <<Phoenix>> (main): Deploying Block
file (/home/daz/jakarta/jakarta-james/dist/apps/james/blocks/james.bar) as
james

I plan to have a better look, but if anyone knows what's going on, it would
help me out. (I can replicate this problem by simply renaming the
<pop3server> element to <pop3server1> and attempting to start James).

ciao and TIA
Daz