james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We have some questions about James ?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:39:25 GMT
On Thu,  2 Aug 2001 13:28, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> [...]

It really depends on mail server and the features that it supports. If the
mail server's greeting contains ESTMP and the necessary extention (I think it
is called 8BIT ?????) then clients will transmit 8-bit encoded messages. If
the receiver does not support 8-bit then it is up to sender to transform it
into 7-bit.

A while ago one of my mail relays was only 7-bit clean and thus I always had
my mail converted to look like what you have. (It also added a header saying
something like converted to 7 bit on node foo at time X).

Now my mail comes through only 8-bit servers so looks fine ;)

Cheers,

Pete