james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer ...@bigdaz.com>
Subject Re: Next release?
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:08:48 GMT
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:54, Charles Benett wrote:
> Now we have JDBC spool repository working, what else do we need to do
> for a release?

I'm not really familiar with the state of things. So I'm don't have too much
to offer here.

> General things:
>
> 1) Remove noparsemimemessgage from proposal dir
>
> 2) Remove town stuff altogether
>
> 3) Upgrade to Avalon 4.0 (release) and Avalon-Excalibur 4.0 b4
> (hopefully this will go final before we are ready to go final)
>
> 4) Upgrade Phoenix/ Cornerstone

How does it work with us releasing James, being built on top of the
yet-to-be-released Phoenix? Do we have to wait for Phoenix Beta before we go
Beta?

> 5) Start putting out alphas and betas in run up to release
>
> 6) Draw up a full changelog. Key items include:
>   - Add NNTP server
>   - Provide JDBC Mail and Spool Repositories and remove town
>
> 7) Start on some user documentation :-)
>
> 8) Add RMI remote manager to proposal dir - has anyone else had a chance
> to test this?

I had a look at this - I think it's a big improvement. I'm not sure if we
remove the old RemoteManagement server altogether, or keep it and refactor to
use the new UserAdmin interfaces in the RMI-RemoteManager proposal.

> Thoughts/ further items? (I'm sure I have forgotten stuff)
>

> Vote
>
> Version -  As james has changed hugely since the last release and isn't
> backwards compatible codewise (I think) I am strongly in favour of
> calling it 2.0

+0 - version number is no big deal to me, but I think I'd prefer a big step
up in useability (management, installation, doco, etc) before we claimed a
major version. Some of this is dependent on Phoenix getting a bit more
"friendly" (stoppable, restartable, etc), which will come with time.