james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Commercial support idea
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:13:36 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunnar Rønning" <gunnar@polygnosis.com>

> What is your intended market for James ?
>
> Are you going to compete with sendmail,qmail etc., do you want to compete
> with POP and IMAP servers ?

I think James may compete eventually with sendmail, but I don't want to get
into the POP/IMAP market with qmail/exchange/lotus/etc... as I think those
products are mature and James may or may not have something unique to offer
there.

I think my vision for James was always as a "mail application server" the
same way you now have web application servers.  There are a lot of products
that offer functionality that a mail application server might do, such as
virus scanning SMTP gateways, majordomo/elm/other listservs, and protocols
like Sieve which offer some server-side scripting.  There are also a lot of
mail applications that I don't think have been built yet that James could
help jumpstart.

But I think I'll have to see what the market really thinks James is best
for.  I'm curious as to how many people are using James really.  I checked
the weblogs, and it seems James is averaging a little over 100 downloads a
day in August, which I'm pretty pleased about.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/