james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Input for JDB Mail Repository
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:00:39 GMT
Oki DZ wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Charles Benett wrote:
>
> > Any other suggestions re storing mail in a db would be welcome.
>
> I already have one about configuration on one of my other postings.
>
> This one regarding James.java; it needs to be tidied up, IMO, especially
> on (the loading of) IMAP storage. I haven't had a chance to look into the
> IMAP source, but I see that the loading is not as simple as
> compMgr.lookup(); MailStore and UsersStore be done just like that (well,
> they load the appropriate repositories). What makes the difference between
> AvalonMailRepository and IMAP storage? Both are for storing the messages
> right? If IMAP storage is supposed to have different interface than
> MailRepository, then having an IMAPStore class would be nice (which would
> then it loads IMAPRepository).
>
> Well, I don't know the exact inner workings of the IMAP server as a whole,
> so I might suggesting something irrelevant; but all I know is that the
> IMAP things work with a different "tone" (design pattern?) compared to the
> MailStore and UsersStore. And that's a bit confusing.
>
> BTW, the names... yes the names... how would one guess that SimpleSystem
> is related to IMAP? You already have some classes with NNTP...

The IMAP code pre-dates the NNTP code and the MailStore/ UserStore
stuff, which is why it doesn't fit.

What I think we need is for the MailStore class to serve up POP3
MailRepositories, SpoolRepositories or (IMAP) mailboxes as required.

When I started the IMAP stuff I thought to include IMAP mailbox
referrals but now I think I would forget that until we get a working
IMAP system.

And, currently, I don't have much time to do anything :-)

Charles