james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Commercial support idea
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:01:52 GMT
I thought I'd share this idea on the dev list first to see what the author's
reactions were before doing anything else.

I'm considering having my company offer some kind of commercial support for
James (once the 1.3 release has been made).  I think James has become stable
and scalable enough to serve as a solid mail server, and my hope with
offering commercial support is that I can stay regularly involved with the
project.  I'm not expecting it to create a significant amount of work for
us, but as it is, I get distracted by client work that causes me to
disappear from the project for months at a time.  With some commercial
suppport contracts, it would help financially keep me involved in an
on-going basis.

I've seen this happen for other open source software, but I don't know of
any of the Jakarta projects that have anything like this.  I wasn't sure if
this was because of legal, cultural, or other reasons that I'm not aware of.
I'm not sure of the kind of support packages we'd offer, but the commercial
support offerings on http://www.pgsql.com/support/ for PostgreSQL seem like
a good model for us...

Any thoughts on the matter are very much appreciated.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/