james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Next release?
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:41:28 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Benett" <charles@benett1.demon.co.uk>

> Now we have JDBC spool repository working, what else do we need to do
> for a release?

I'm finally looking into a problem with 'dot-stuffing' that happens in SMTP
transfer... JAMES doesn't 'un-stuff' the dot in SMTPHandler, so I'm working
on that now.  I believe this has to get fixed for the next release.

I also would like to get support for MAIL FROM: <> working, and I've started
looking into it, but this isn't required for a new release.

Also, I've moved the two pure debugging mailets (Exception throwing and
Identity) to the "...transport.mailet.debug" package.  I am adding mailets
to the debug package, to the main package, and matchers too.  No need to
slow the release though... just going to try to get as much in as I can into
the next release since other people are starting to come up with filtering
ideas... I want to make sure James has many in place as possible.

> General things:
>
> 1) Remove noparsemimemessgage from proposal dir
Already did this.

> 2) Remove town stuff altogether
I can kill the mail and user repositories since the JDBC versions are there.
There are a few mailets that I'll upgrade.  Would be nice to be able to use
a built-in connection definitions from excalibur though...

> 3) Upgrade to Avalon 4.0 (release) and Avalon-Excalibur 4.0 b4
> (hopefully this will go final before we are ready to go final)
Yes again I think this would be a great way to handle connections.
Connections still aren't pooled with the current code.

> 4) Upgrade Phoenix/ Cornerstone
>
> 5) Start putting out alphas and betas in run up to release
>
> 6) Draw up a full changelog. Key items include:
>   - Add NNTP server
>   - Provide JDBC Mail and Spool Repositories and remove town
I'll add this second set of stuff to the changelog.

> 7) Start on some user documentation :-)
Two key docs I think we need are a complete list of mailets & matchers, and
documentation on how to do the JDBC stuff.

> 8) Add RMI remote manager to proposal dir - has anyone else had a chance
> to test this?
>
> Thoughts/ further items? (I'm sure I have forgotten stuff)
>

> Vote
>
> Version -  As james has changed hugely since the last release and isn't
> backwards compatible codewise (I think) I am strongly in favour of
> calling it 2.0
>
> Votes/ thoughts

What isn't backwards compatible?  The JDBC mail repository can use the same
table structure (should even work with existing data in it).  Configuration
will be changed, but I'm not sure if that warrants a major release.  I'd
prefer 1.3, but not a big deal.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/