james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject MAIL FROM: <> and dot-stuffing
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:15:44 GMT
I've committed new code to handle MAIL FROM: <>.  The specs even refer to
this condition as the "Null" sender case, so rather than using a constant
value, I changed the Mail class and James to support mail.getSender() ==
null.    There might be some mailets/matchers that choke on this case, but
hopefully I got most of them.  This required a slight change to the database
table structure for JDBC mail repositories as the 'sender' column now needs
to be nullable.  (I changed the SQL script in CVS).

One thing I'm not clear on is how AUTH and MAIL FROM: <> is supposed to
work.  For now, in the AUTH stuff (in RCPT method) I skip checking any
authentication if MAIL FROM: <> was set.  This might need to get changed...

Also, I added SMTPInputStream and have the SMTPHandler use this when
receiving a message (during DATA).  This was needed because James was not
'unstuffing' dots.

During SMTP DATA, if you have the following sequence, "\r\n.", the sender
will stuff a dot, changing it to "\r\n..".  This is because to signify the
end of the message transfer, you put "." on a blank line.  So by stuffing an
extra dot in there, a message with a "." on a blank line won't prematurely
signal the end of the message.  James now properly unstuffs the dots.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/