james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>
Subject Re: DB code committed
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:06:14 GMT
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> I still have to tweak my AddFooter mailet... hopefully can add that later
> this week.

As if I hadn't asked to much.
When you're done with the mailet...

To have something like this in the config.xml for UsersJDBCRepository
would be really neat. So that the repository would not be tied to the
table and column names hardwired in the UsersJDBCRepository. Basically, it
would be good to have one's can have the names suit his/her own liking.

  <users-store>
    <!-- MySQL server via mm mysql driver -->
    <repository name="LocalUsers"
      class="com.pindad.james.userrepository.UsersMySQLRepository">
      <destination>
	<datasource>
	    <columns>
	      <username>username</username>
	      <aliasname>aliasname</aliasname>
	      <forward-to>forwardto</forward-to>
	      <password>password</password>
	      <real-name>name</real-name>
<!-- the following might not be needed
	      <unit-name>unit</unit-name>
	      <email-service>email</email-service>
	      <proxy-service>squid</proxy-service>
-->
	    </columns>
	</datasource>
      </destination>
<!-- this one too
      <db-pooler>
	<service>com.pindad.james.util.TurbineServices</service>
      </db-pooler>
-->
    </repository>
  </users-store>

UsersJDBCRepository has been available for a long time, but when it was, I
already had a production James with a users' table that conforms to
UsersTownRepository. So, the switch wasn't quite an option. But then I
wanted to know how James works, so I started small with reimplementing the
UsersJDBCRepository. Some of the methods in UsersRepository are not yet
implemented, but having the users' table needn't any change, the
reimplementation was worthwhile, I think.

There's something in UsersJDBCRepository that would make it better, I
believe; useForwarding and useAlias could be removed. Having the values as
nulls to represent no forward address and no alias name would be
sufficient. And also, storing the algorithm used by the password cipher is
a bit too much; I believe most of the admins would like to have all the
password encrypted with the same algorithm for all the user passwords.

BTW, aliases are for aliasing the usernames, right? So I think the column
shouldn't be that wide. At most, it should be as wide as the username's.
but then, how aliasing is supposed to be working? I tried to telnet to
James at port 25, and typing "rcpt to: <username>" (without the braces),
and it seemed not to be working.

Oki