james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Gunnar Rønning <gun...@polygnosis.com>
Subject Re: Commercial support idea
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:32:41 GMT
* "Serge Knystautas" <sergek@lokitech.com> wrote:

| I've seen this happen for other open source software, but I don't know of
| any of the Jakarta projects that have anything like this.  I wasn't sure if
| this was because of legal, cultural, or other reasons that I'm not aware of.
| I'm not sure of the kind of support packages we'd offer, but the commercial
| support offerings on http://www.pgsql.com/support/ for PostgreSQL seem like
| a good model for us...
|
| Any thoughts on the matter are very much appreciated.

If you manage to set up and get support contracts for James, that can
only be a good thing for James. I bet you are aware that there are two
additional companies that provide support for PostgreSQL, GreatBridge and
RedHat. Commercial support for PostgreSQL has only attracted more developers
and resulted in accelerated development of the PostgreSQL database. If the
same will happen for James, that is great.

What is your intended market for James ?

Are you going to compete with sendmail,qmail etc., do you want to compete
with POP and IMAP servers ?

regards,

        Gunnar
--