james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: dnsjava block
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:18:54 GMT
Paul,

I think I'm missing the goal of these suggestions...

> Serge,
>
> >We could... I think the dnsjava has features as a complete DNS server if
you
> >want.  This sounds like a potentially cool block for Avalon, but probably
> >unrelated to James.
> >
> Could you folks have a vote then on this?  I propose it's move to
> jakarta-avalon-cornerstone/apps/dnsserver/  (see ftpserver at same level).

I don't know what authority the James project has to vote on this... someone
has to write code to create a DNS server, and then whoever does that could
decide what to do with that code.

> >James is only using it for a DNS API to lookup MX
> >records, and we might even remove the dnsjava dependency and go with the
> >JNDI DNS implementation at some point.
> >
> Of course, the two would share the same service interface.  An assembler
> could configure James to use either dns implementing block ....?

Again I think I'm missing what your plans are.  If it's what I understand, I
don't see the need to further abstract the code before a second
implementation is written... it's really a pretty minor part of the system,
and I don't see a need to support multiple implementations.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/