james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update Avalon/Phoenix
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:04:39 GMT
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 23:42, Gabriel Bucher wrote:
> Quoting Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org>:
> > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:15, Gabriel Bucher wrote:
> > > Thanks Peter but it doesn't matter if you use the wait inside the
> > > synchronized block or not! I tried both! No chance! Any other ideas...
> >
> > If I
> >
> > > use wait(1000), the process will finish.
> > > I'm using at the moment winnt4 and jdk 1.3.1
> >
> > hmmm - may be something james specific then ... possibly there is a
> > block
> > that is starting a connection but not releasing it. Not sure will have a
> > look.
>
> I think it is not james specific. I tried it out with the avalon-demo.sar
> and had the same effects!
>
> What I have done, I started avalon with the avalon-demo application. No
> action from me after startup and tried to shutdown avalon!

doh. well it works for me ;) (Linux IBM and Suns JDKs).

It could be platform differences in Socket behaviour ... however not sure. On
Linux interupting the thread results in accept() throwing an IOException. Not
sure how cross-platform this is.

Try adding m_serverSocket.setSoTimeout( 500 ); (or some other number) at top
of loop before accept call in Connection. If that works then we know it is
probably inconsistencies between unix/windows.

--
Cheers,

Pete