james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: IMAP and the database repository
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:42:30 GMT
John Yoost wrote:

>         OK, so my take is that if I want to help with the IMAP server I
> should look at the interface part to to the mail repository, to make it
> generically communicate with either the file system or database repository
> correct?

No. I'd get the IMAP code working byitself (it has its own mailbox code)
and then see if there are enough commonalities with POP3/ SMTP to make a
common base sensible.

For example:
1) IMAP uses a two-stage delete (Mark Message Deleted & Expunge Mailbox)
as opposed to POP3's one-stage Delete;
2) IMAP mailboxes allow concurrent access where as POP3 does not;
3) I think I have the IMAP ACL (Access Control List) system working,
nothing comparable for POP3.

Charles