james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>
Subject Re: Turning mailets into Avalon components
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:24:30 GMT
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> I don't like making the mailet API tied to the Avalon structure.  I'm
> hoping mailets and matchers can eventually become used enough that other
> mail server engines start supporting them.

Think about James mailets which would have reached the critical-mass
sometime in the future... in effect, developers would write mail-servers
based on Avalon. You'd get credits from the Avalon team.

> Another idea would to leave the GenericMailet as is, but then also offer
> a GenericAvalonMailet that would have easier access to Avalon
> information.  I'd probably be +0 on this since it does in effect
> encourage people to write non-generic mailets.  I may just be
> unrealistic in this hope though.

I believe that would be too much; besides, it would complicate the
documentation.

> The RemoteDelivery mailet already grabs Avalon resources, which it does
> by grabbing a ComponentManager from a MailetContext attribute.  Seems
> like this approach could give you similar access to Jdbc sources or
> whatever.  I plan to rewrite the Town alias and Town listserv without
> Town (using the internal jdbc datasource), and I'll see if I can figure
> a nice way to get these to work.

Yes please; basically, all I need is to have an easy way to get a
reference to Avalon's ComponentManager from my matchers/mailets. Well, I
want to make sure that the compose() or initialize() methods in the
mailets would get invoked too...

Oki