james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: RFC822Date
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:42:27 GMT
question: how do you intend to use (String Date) -> (Date object) API.

The headers often have a format that does not comply with RFC822. 'Date'
header often does not comply. Part of the 'Recieved' header usu. does, but
that seems to be a practice not a standard(I think, can anyone confirm)

I want to extract information like 'Sent Date' and display via HTML pages.
Have had a few problems, but this combination has worked best. I try to
parse the date with each one.
--------------------------------
    private static final DateFormat DF =
        new SimpleDateFormat("EE, d MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss",Locale.US);
    private static final DateFormat DF2 =
        new SimpleDateFormat("d MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss",Locale.US);
    private static final DateFormat DF3 =
        new SimpleDateFormat("EE MMM d HH:mm:ss zzz yyyy",Locale.US);
--------------------

Wondering if anyone knows of an authoritative date field in the headers that
is most likely to comply with RFC822. At present I try this combination in
some order.

Another thing that worries/amuses/irritates me is that Format objects have
rarely exposed but existing multithreading issues. They are also slow.
Does anyone know of a faster and safer alternative ?

thanks,
Harmeet

P.S the CVS checkin
cvs commit: jakarta-james/src/java/org/apache/james/util RFC822Date.java
has this header 'Date: 3 Oct 2001 09:52:44 -0000'
This would not be parsed by <RFC822Date.dx>
:-(