james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: James - GEM
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:34:10 GMT
> Maybe if servlets
> were thoughtfully redesigned today a case
> could be made for calling one servlet from
> another one.

there is a compelling case for servelets to call one another, if you want to recurively generate
and embed HTML snippets, however the way to deal with this is to extract the HTML generation
from the servelet and call that directly from the servelet, and from the recursed elements.

Its something we do all the time, having specific apllication elements that know how to generate
a particular bit of HTML, say a formatted list, or a product description from a catalogue
number and a template, you call them and they return the HTML as a string which you can insert
into the output at any point.

d.