james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:58:32 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
> just had a play around with thing. I noticed that for some reason you
can't
> grab articles by ID. ie Trying to get something by
>
> 1493464959.1004188299157.1@news.james.apache.org

There was a problem with getting NNTP Headers, HDR and XHDR headers. Fixed
it.
I tried to reproduce fetching the article from articleID problem, but could
not reproduce.

What Client library are you using ? I would like to reproduce the problem
with latest code.

Are there any articles in the group you are fetching information from ?

draft-ietf-nntpext-base-13.txt in section 9.1.1.1 says
----------------------------------
            If the group is empty, one of the following three situations
            will occur. Clients MUST accept all three cases; servers MUST
            NOT represent an empty group in any other way.

               . The high water mark will be one less than the low water
                 mark, and the estimated article count will be zero.
                 Servers SHOULD use this method to show an empty group.
                 This is the only time that the high water mark can be
                 less than the low water mark.
               . All three numbers will be zero.
               . The high water mark is greater than or equal to the low
                 water mark; the estimated article count might be zero or
                 non-zero; if non-zero, the same requirements apply as for
                 a non-empty group.

Is it possible that the group is empty and client is expecting the server
response in one of the three possible ways.
For empty group NTTP Server currently sends back:
b. lowWaterMark == highWaterMark == NumberOfSrticles == 0

Harmeet