james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: nntp - grab articles by ID Was: james nntp for jakarta newsgroups live at news.dyxn.net
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:50:56 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
> Okay. Getting news by ID works now ;)
getting there. :-)

> However on both yours and Rhys's servers respond with "501 Syntax Error"
when
> I do try "New Groups" option in KNode. Get to it via

There was a problem with NEWGROUPS command. I think it has been fixed.
Also, added a system property to help debug the protocol.
With the latest cvs code, if System property
apache.nntpserver.debug==true
then a lot of output is written into the nntp specific log file.

I have updated news.kodemuse.com with cvs code and
apache.nntpserver.debug==true. Rhys you may want to do get the fixes in
NNTPHandler.java from CVS and if you want set apache.nntpserver.debug==true
in the run script

Haven't tried the 'New Groups' option in KNode yet. (Access problem.) Hope
to that soon.
'New Groups' command seems to work with python nntplib, so I have some
confidence.

From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
> Also I was still intermittently getting not found errors when looking up
> articles by ID. I will see if I can reproduce it better.

I have wiped out the repository. It may be a good idea to wipe the news
server and create a new one. There may be cached articles from earlier
repository.
news.kodemuse.com is not a hard name, If you like you can choose
news1.kodemuse.com as the server name.

> Also can James specify descriptions for newsgroups ?
James cannot specify the description. Group description cannot be read from
the config.xml or stored in repository.
But the protocol server, does return the description. The description
returned for a group is the same as name of a group.
It is probably a little bit of work to add description, but not too much.
Do you think it would be a good thing to do ?

Cheers,
Harmeet