james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Darrell DeBoer" <li...@bigdaz.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers...
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2002 01:24:09 GMT
> I'd be happy to get a commit-changelog file working, as long as committers
> are willing to update it when they make changes. The way I work is I to
> enter my changes into the changelog once I'm happy with everything, and
then
> Cut&Paste that entry as my CVS commit log message. This gives us a nice
> historical view of the CVS commit log messages, from within the CVS tree.

Just to clarify, here's what my last commit could look like:
<changeLog>
<version number="2.0a3">
<commit number="xxx">
    - Library upgrade
        - Upgraded Avalon,Pheonix and Cornerstone libraries to more recent
versions.
        - Removed deprecated usage of o.a.a.phoenix.Service from
          MailServer and UsersStore interfaces.
        - Changed o.a.j.BaseConnectionHandler to use new Logging framework,
so
          that it can work with new version of Cornerstone. Also needed
slight mods
          to extensions to BaseConnectionHandler (NNTPHandler,
AbstractJdbcUsersRepository,
          UsersLDAPRepository)
        - Now get heaps of deprecation warnings for usage of
o.a.log.Loggable
    - Source tree is no longer copied to build/src before compiling,
      source files are compiled directly from src/java
</commit>
<commit number="...">
</commit>
</release>
</changeLog>
The actual commit message could be more formatted XML, but then it's a pain
to write...

When James was built from this commit, it would then run with a message
like:
James 2.0a3 (build xxx)
or something like that.

What do you reckon?