james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Darrell DeBoer" <li...@bigdaz.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers...
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:08:04 GMT
> we do have a changelog .. its in xdocs and is "built" with the rest of the
> docs .. http://jakarta.apache.org/james/changelog.html
> I like Pete's idea of generating a changelog from the cvs logs,
> even if you then have to cut and paste the non-trivial changes into the
> actual changelog doc it'd save a heap of effort.

Sorry, "changeLog" was probably the wrong name. I meant a Commit log, which
included a unique number for each CVS commit. This could be sanitised to
create sensible release notes (including a change-log).

The main thing I'd like is unique build numbers, so that we can tell
*exactly* what code is running. I'm sure this can be automated with some
tricky CVS integration, but having played with the CVS mailer before, I'm
not too keen on delving into those nasty Perl scripts again. ;) I'd be just
as happy with a rule that said - "when you commit changes to CVS, you bump
the build number in file XXX". (Or run some Ant target, which itself bumps
the number). I know this enforces discipline on the developers, but I don't
know of any other simple way to do it.

ciao
Daz