james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: Working on IMAPServer (and other things)
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:01:45 GMT

>Does anyone have a set of tests which could form the starting point for a
>full set of functional tests? I imagine that a bunch have been written in
>the process of developing/testing the SMTP and POP servers.

POP and SMTP functionality are easily tested using telnet, I suspect this
has made me (at least) complacent.. good tests of basic function would
indeed be worthwhile.

I guess that tests which run on a clean build, with default configuration,
would be the easiest start, otherwise we could end up bogged down in issues
of how to stop repository and mailet configuration errors obscuring bugs in
the servers & handlers?

I suggest we'd need three simple tests to start with
1/ create a test account
2/ deliver to that account using SMTP
3/ collect the mail via POP

the next logical one;
4/ deliver to a remote address
is more problematic as it requires dns configuration, a good address to
deliver to, and could still be caught out by the anti-spam mailets.

d.