james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Hardware anti-spam device?!?!!!
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:07:23 GMT
While I definitely respect the goal, I can't imagine a worse approach.  The
privacy group Truste's concept is to stick a piece of *hardware in your
firewall that will attach a digital smart field to outgoing e-mails*.  Then
email client software will need to recognize that field and display a
message saying this email wasn't spam.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020131S0021

We've had a few discussions on the list of more effective ways to block
spam, either through server-based sender validation (protocol extensions I
believe) or other methods of reducing spam.  I suggest we do the following:

1. Build a list of all possible uses and configurations of an SMTP server.
2. Categorize these into good and bad practices, making sure every
legitimate use has a good configuration practice.
3. Craft a protocol/approach/whatever that helps servers using good
practices reduce spam and traffic from servers with bad practices.
4. Publish this and implement it in James.

What does everyone think of this approach?  I'll start by researching if
anything similar has been done for the requirements.  We might also want to
document all the approaches that have been taken to reduce spam, including
technical, legal, and whatever else.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/