james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet Bedi" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Anti Spam Ideas - was: Hardware anti-spam device?!?!!!
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:08:24 GMT
From: "Serge Knystautas" <sergek@lokitech.com>
> We've had a few discussions on the list of more effective ways to block
> spam, either through server-based sender validation (protocol extensions I
> believe) or other methods of reducing spam.  I suggest we do the
following:

> 1. Build a list of all possible uses and configurations of an SMTP server.
+1.

A few ideas to help this:
1. SourceForge has a loopback test to gaurd against spam

I think the idea is to contact a well know address for the mailing list
subscribers like
postmaster@<subscribers domain>. If this address is not there, the chances
are that someone is getting on the list to spam.

2. Have a background thread that talks to open relay dbs. like
http://www.ordb.org/ or mail abuse. This could help mark confidence level
for emails. Unfortunatly this is fuzzy and could be best exploited by a
service.

Harmeet