james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet Bedi" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: Why no newsgroups?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:16:25 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "JamesCarroll" <jamesdcarroll@hotmail.com>
Subject: Why no newsgroups?

> I'm kinda new to the ASF, and since there's no global list to post to I
was
> wondering if someone here can tell me why Apache uses mailing lists
instead
> of asking for newsgroups to be created? The one advantage I see is that
> mailing lists are totally under ASF's control; that is they don't need to
be
> approved by a third party. Are there any other reasons?

Not sure of the reasons. One thing is that people are more familar with Mail
than newsgroups. For example there are more SMTP/POP3 related mail and job
offers than NNTP related.

> mailing lists are totally under ASF's control; that is they don't need to
be
> approved by a third party. Are there any other reasons?

I don't think ASF would need NNTP groups to be approved by anyone if they
decide to host NNTP Server. They could create a space like comp.apache....
if they like and it would be easy to publish. It may be a good idea.

I am cross posting to the  infrastructure@apache.org, in case they are
interested.

Harmeet