james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet Bedi" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: the nntp effort on in james server !!!!
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:40:59 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Santoshi, Vishal" <Vishal_Santoshi@gallup.com>

>      i just recently started working on the nntp aspect of James .
>  And would like to be a part of the effort .

Happy to hear that. As a start, I would recommend you use it for some time
and familarize yourself with the code. Getting familar with Avalon will also
help. Are you particularly interested in NNTP or in other James protocols
like POP3/SMTP ?

>  And towards tha goal would be highly thankfull if u could share with me
>  the vison and planning that u are putting in .

I think this is a good question, what do you all think the nntp vision
should be ?

Some things that I thought that would be nice are
- Better access control mechanism. At present a well behaved client will not
post, but say if post is not allowed for a user than even a custom nntp
client should not be able to post.
- Making the backend more flexible. Maybe map to SMPT/POP3 backend store on
the other hand I feel NNTP is nicely decoupled.
- Having Mailet/Matcher/LinearProcessor facility.
- NNTP sycnhronization with master-slave nntp servers. I was thinking of
doing this by writing a Avalon Block.

> Further i need a robust
> application b'fore long
>  and therefore would love to be a pusher if that's what u would call me.

If you find it is not robust, tell me why. I think it is robust and fast,
although I could be wrong. Would love to know more.

A good strategy would be heads up on why you think NNTP is not robust, or
fast etc and a follow up with suggested fixes. :-)

Harmeet

PS. I contributed to NNTP significantly, but james-dev is the owner. I am
happy to recieve direct email(esp. now that I have spam blockers), but it is
better to send James related email to the james-dev list - thanks.