james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Short <Steve.Sh...@PostX.com>
Subject RE: FW: problem sending email, body in Rich Text Format / Plain T ext
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 23:15:24 GMT

I tried this out for myself, 'cos I was slightly concerned about it and have
been unable to reproduce the problem.  Do you have any more info about your
configuration that might help narrow this down and resolve it?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 10:59 AM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: FW: problem sending email, body in Rich Text Format / Plain
Text

Kishore,

This is a bug in JavaMail.  I see this error message occassionally in my
logs but never had the email source that was causing it.  You'll have to
follow-up with Sun on this one as we're rather dependent on their
library for MIME parsing and writing.  I think JavaMail 1.3 is about to
come out (or maybe already has) so you could test that it could read and
write that message.  Once JavaMail 1.3 FCS is out, we'll need to upgrade
James to use this new version of JavaMail, irregardless.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Kishore Metla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not get any answer and this is kind of important. Can someone please
> help me.
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Kishore

Microsoft
> Outlook 2000 Plain Text or Rich Text to the James with an attachment but
> with no message in the body.
>
> I am choosing the format of the mail in the Outlook by going to Tools >>
> Options >> Mail Format >> 'Choose a format for outgoing mail ...'  and
> choosing the option as 2 or 3 from the available as listed below
> 1. HTML
> 2. Microsoft Outlook Rich Text
> 3. Plain Text
>
> When I send an email to the James Server to categorize, choosing HTML
(with
> or without a message in the body) it works fine. If I send an email
choosing
> either Plain Text or Rich Text with some message in the body it works
fine.
> But If no message in the body (sending just an attachment) it fails
throwing
> an exception (see below).

> --------------------
> javax.activation.UnsupportedDataTypeException: no object DCH for MIME type
> application/octet-stream;
> name="example.PDF"
> at javax.activation.ObjectDataContentHandler.writeTo(DataHandler.java:851)

> at javax.activation.DataHandler.writeTo(DataHandler.java:305)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.writeTo(MimeBodyPart.java:1089)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.writeTo(MimeBodyPart.java:635)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart.writeTo(MimeMultipart.java:233)
> at com.sun.mail.handlers.multipart_mixed.writeTo(multipart_mixed.java:68)
> at javax.activation.ObjectDataContentHandler.writeTo(DataHandler.java:849)
> at javax.activation.DataHandler.writeTo(DataHandler.java:305)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.writeTo(MimeBodyPart.java:1089)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.writeTo(MimeMessage.java:1527)
> at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.writeTo(MimeMessage.java:1503)
> at org.apache.james.core.MailImpl.writeMessageTo(MailImpl.java:198)
> at

org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository.store(AvalonMailReposit
> ory.java:98)
> at org.apache.james.James.sendMail(James.java:298)
> at org.apache.james.James.sendMail(James.java:278)
> at org.apache.james.James.sendMail(James.java:270)
> at

org.apache.james.transport.mailets.NotifyPostmaster.service(NotifyPostmaster
> .java:167)
> at

org.apache.james.transport.LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:152)
> at

org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.process(JamesSpoolManager.java:
> 166)
> at

org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:142)