james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: Newsgroup integration, and other questions
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 08:55:41 GMT
Hiran

> So why does a MTA by itself need to know the DNS server's ip
> addresses? BTW,
> I never entered such information and did not see any problems.

MTA's use MX records to find a list of all MTA's to whom they could deliver
mail for a specified domain.
If this list isn't found, or all of those hosts cannot be contacted the MTA
can try to deliver directly to the domain of the address.

Thus most mail domains actually map to servers whos name is different to the
mail domain, in which case no DNS prevents this being delivered.
Some mail is correctly delivered directly to the domain.

Java doesn't (AFAIK) have a simple method of determining MX record lists or
the nameservers from OS network config, and local name resolution
(etc/hosts) doesnt contain MX information. Therefore James needs to know the
IP of a nameserver from which it can get MX records.

Sendmail can find the nameservers from OS config, so you don't have to
configure this parameter for it, but it isn't as portable as James.
Likewise, I expect, for other platform specific MTA's.

If Java does have a way of getting lists of MX records without knowing DNS
addresses do let us know about it.

d.