james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrei Ivanov" <my...@surfeu.fi>
Subject James SMTPServer load test - from 6req/s and crash -> 26req/s no crash
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:36:05 GMT
Hi,
Please refer to my previous post about James SMTPServer load test for more
details on this issue.
In short:
1. James SMTPServer part was tested for number of incoming 4KB mails it can
accept
2. All other parts of James were not in use by commenting out
mailServer.sendMail(mail); @line 615 in SMTPHandler.
3. James SMTPServer crashed after certain number of requests with
OutOfMemory exception

Studying the results of my previous tests showed most likely the problem is
in how SMTPHandler unallocates resources when connection has to be released.
In fact it didn't do any resources release. So I put my efforts in
refactoring
SMTPServer
SMTPHandler (only few changes)
BaseConnectionHandler

I replaced BaseConnectioHandler with AbstractServer which implements
ConnectionHandlerFactory.
Every other server class can now inherit from new AbstractServer  by
implementing its "public abstract createConnectionHandler()".
Main achievement is that this way it is possible to unallocate explicitly
resources used by any connection handler.
So I made SMTPHandler to be disposable and simply "multiplied by null" all
its resources in its dispose.

The result is in subject of this letter.
Opinions, ideas?

Andrei

PS still using java 1.3.1_02 :-)