james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrei Ivanov" <my...@surfeu.fi>
Subject James SMTPServer load test - more result
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:27:35 GMT
Hi,
after experiencing several crashes of James I decided to test James SMTP
server so that not other parts of application can interfere with test
results. To do so I commented out
mailServer.sendMail(mail); @line 615 of
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler

In my test I had only three clients attacking James SMTP server running on
Windows 2K machine (256MB). Clients were sending three 4KB emails each
second. Actually I tried to use from two to six clients with same result.
The only difference is that when request rate is lower it takes more time to
wait for the outcome.

James SMTP is able to stand this load only for about from 10 to 15 minutes
and when it crashes with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

I don't think that problem is in how SMTP server is implemented but rather
in underlying cornerstone socket and connection packages...

Andrei
PS James, cornerstone, and phoenix were taken from apache cvs yesterday.