james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:05:38 GMT
From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>

> Paul,
>
> No ... I understand the difference, although I thank you for the
> clarification.  Yes, those are just interfaces.  But they are "Avalon
> interfaces" by simple virtue of the package name.  The package is named:
>
> org.apache.avalon.framework.logger
>
> That is part of the "Avalon" set of packages, even if it is completely
> independent of other parts, such as Phoenix.  It isn't, for example,
> org.apache.framework.logger.
>
> I am not saying that Danny is right, wrong, or indifferent.  I am saying
> that he indicated that he did not want the Mailet API to have any
references
> to packages other than org.apache.mailet.*, java.* and javax.mail.*.

I hope you are not going to duplicate the lang package too ;-P

Mailet API is only about mailets?
Then why put logging in?

Looking at the servlet spec, I see that Servlet has no logging in.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/Ser
vlet.html

ServletContext, on the other hand, has it
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/Ser
vletContext.html#log(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.Throwable)

ServletContext is the object that is used to communicate with the container.

IMO, we should assume that the container abides to Avalon interfaces.
There is a JSR for it, Turbine will probably be using them, and James, the
first project to use them, will ripudiate them?

Come on...

> > You are going to end up with an undeniable knock-off of LogEnabled
>
> No kidding.  As I said, "The Mailet Logger API might not differ from the
> Avalon Logger API, other than to effectively put it in the 'right'
package."
> Note the quotes in my original statement.

Yeah, cut 'n paste!
The real code reuse!
:-P

> I agree that you've made a case for the Mailet API to use the abstract
> interfaces defined by the Avalon Framework, on the grounds that they are
> purely interfaces, implementation independent, easily be mapped onto other
> platforms.

+1

Exactly.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -