james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Serviceable to Composable changeover
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 13:00:24 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
>>Err, actually I am advocating closer binding with Avalon-Framework
>>interfaces.
>

> I'd rather see the mailet API developed completely independant of any
> dependancies at all, apart from Java Mail.
> It would then be up to James' implementation to conform to avalon design
> imperatives, and benefit accordingly.
>
> I'd like to see mailet being used by people and products with no connection
> to James at all, and no reason for them to even know about James.
>
> d.

Agreed.  However, as to your point of hosting it on a separate website,
before I donated my code for James, it was sitting on a usershare, never
to be looked at.  James has great visibility, and until we either find a
more public way to get exposure independent of the code, I think this is
the best place for it.  That said, I think it's important to state the
separation as an important design decision (along with other design
notes that could stand to be documented).

This may be a bit taboo of a suggestion on an Apache list, but it might
be worth submitting a JSR request for mailets.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com