james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ajit George <ga...@kurianinc.com>
Subject Re: Mailet API v2
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:10:15 GMT
Hi - hope you guys don't mind my chiming in.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>And I think it would be more reliable to relay the message from one server
>to another for special processing, than to try to do RMI in the middle of
>the processing chain.  Any problems, e.g., sudden server death, are handled
>by the existing spooling and protocols.
>
>What it comes down to is that somewhere along the line, some aspect of
>content and behavior is going to be distributed.  You are thinking AJP, Paul
>is talking about AltRMI and SOAP.  I'm hanging my case on the RFC and
>existing mechanisms.  I don't like inventing new protocols when none seem to
>be needed.

One complaint that crops up quite often on the qmail mailing list is
that (some) mail fetching programs relay messages from one server to
another via SMTP.  When the receiving server is misconfigured, it relays
the fetched mail instead of storing it (or whatever it's supposed to do)
 and you get a loop.  So fetched mail should be routed directly to the
local processor.

It's true that you can configure JAMES to route fetched mail directly to
the local processor without providing a new entry point, but the
configuration is easy to screw up.  A typo means you risk losing mail,
wasting other systems' resources, etc.

Ajit