james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Beanshell Phoenix Kernel spyglass
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:52:49 GMT
Folks,

I've been working on hacker's Phoenix Kernel.  It basically extends the
current Kernel but also launches a Beanshell window to allow inspection
and interoperation on the running Phoenix machine.

Here is a log that I cut/paste from BeanShell ( I typed all these
interactively... 'bsh %' is the promt):

    bsh % prtapps();
    0 james
    bsh % prtblocks("james");
    0 objectstorage
    1 nntp-repository
    2 nntpserver
    3 nntpauth
    4 remotemanager
    5 dnsserver
    6 scheduler
    7 thread-manager
    8 database-connections
    9 mailstore
    10 smtpserver
    11 sockets
    12 pop3server
    13 James
    14 users-store
    15 connections
    16 spoolmanager
    bsh % o = getblock("james","dnsserver");
    bsh % o2 = o.findMXRecords("microsoft.com");
    bsh % print(o2);
    [microsoft.com]
    bsh % it = o2.iterator();
    bsh % r0 = it.next();
    bsh % print(r0);
    microsoft.com

Interesting possibilities huh?  We're striving towards telnet into that
shell.
By using this instead of the Phoenix in JAMES CVS, it give you a view of
JAMES blocks from the reusers point of view.

For instance the above is a trail of the DNS Server.  I was hoping to
drill into the DNS Record, but alas the collection returned
by findMXRecords is of strings (should it be findMXRecordNames).  Still
there are great possibilities.  For me, this level of block interaction
is the prime API delivered by JAMES.  I'm always approaching blocks from
the reuse point of view.

- Paul