james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Mailet API was RE: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 16:19:02 GMT
Danny,

>It might be worth mentioning that I've been spending my free hours up to my
>armpits in a UML version of a possible new version of Mailet API.
>I hope to offer it as a proposal once I've created a successful
>implementation of it.

I'll hope that you have a simple API like :

   MailAction mailRequest(MailItem mailItem) throw MailRequestException;

...where MailAction and MailItem are either API specified interfaces or
value objects.

I'd hope that the enitre set of Avalon-Framework (please don't use
Avalon as a term for an API) interfaces are complimentary _interfaces_
for maillets.  They are Configurable, Contextualizable, Initializable,
Suspendable, Parameterizable etc ( see
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/reference-the-lifecycle hmmm,
this needs some mods ).

>I'm not convinced that a getLogger method is appropriate for the API....

I agree. It isout of keeping with any peer. It is bad Soc / IoC.

> if it
> is going to make the mailet API depend upon any particular logging product,

>I firmly believe that the mailet API should be as independant of all but
>java.* and JavaMail as is possible to encourage its implementation in other
>vendors applications.

Agree, JavaMail ignorant.

-ph